“Political Sphere” Institute of Political Research announces the dates and venue of the 8th International Congress of Belarusian Studies. The flagship Belarusian academic event will take place on September 27-29, 2019 in Vilnius. European Humanities University (EHU) will serve as the major academic partner of the Congress.
Traditionally more than 500 researchers and experts from Belarus and abroad will gather at discussions and presentations of the Congress. Awards for the best scientific publications and best student publications of 2018 will be presented at the Congress.
Director of the Institute “Political Sphere” Dr. Andrei Kazakevich says: “I am pleased to invite researchers, partners and guests from around the world to the 8th International Congress of Belarusian Studies in Vilnius. This is a unique opportunity to join the largest scientific and expert event dedicated to Belarus, and present the results of work to hundreds of Belarusian and foreign researchers. Thanks to the partnership with national, regional and global centers, the Congress is an excellent opportunity to establish new professional contacts, discuss projects, exchange ideas and experiences”.
EHU Rector Prof. Sergei Ignatov adds: “EHU community is pleased that our University will be the main academic partner of the 8th Congress of Belarusian Studies. The new EHU premises, located in the former Augustinian monastery in Vilnius, will be happy to welcome scholars researching Belarus and the entire region. We are sure that independent research in the fields of social sciences, humanities and arts contributes towards integration of Belarus into the European intellectual space”.
Academic partners of the Congress are Vytautas Magnus University and few other academic institutions. Series of Congress events are expected to take place at the Town Hall and other sites within Vilnius Old Town.
The first International Congress of Belarusian Studies was held in 2011. From 2011 to 2016, the Congress was held in Kaunas, in 2017 it took place in Warsaw. In 2018, due to technical reasons Congress was not able to take place in Minsk, therefore it was decided to postpone the 8th Congress for 2019.
Congress preparation plan
- Collection of applications for the creation of sections and panels — by March 5, 2019. Collection of applications opens on January 10.
- Collection of nominations for the Congress Award — by April 10, 2019. Collection of applications opens on February 10.
- Deadline for collecting individual applications — by May 20, 2019. Collection of applications opens on March 10.
- The distribution of subsidies for accommodation and transport — by June 5, 2019.
- Definition of the final list of sections based on the collection of individual applications — June 10, 2019.
- Sending individual invitations — by June 25, 2019. By July 10, participants must confirm their participation.
- The preliminary program of the Congress — August 5, 2019.
Contact persons for media:
Dr. Andrej Kazakevič, “Political Sphere” Institute, firstname.lastname@example.org
Maksimas Milta, European Humanities University, email@example.com